Sunday, July 12, 2009

Remember That Sci-Fi Reading Challenge?


I couldn't find my edition, so here's
my second-favorite cover.


You know, this one. Needless to say, I haven't been "on it"; however, I have been reading. I finished The Stars, Like Dust, a book in Asimov's Galactic series. I finished The Cat Who Walks Through Walls, a later novel by Heinlein that led nowhere really. Most recently, I finished The Einstein Intersection after putting it off for months (sorry, Natalie).

Samuel Delany, what the fuck?!?!!! I must say, being a fan of the sci-fi and fantasy genres, I'm pretty used to weirdness, but this shit took the cake, digested it, and shat it out again. Honestly, I don't even know what it meant. I get that there was a retelling of the Orpheus/Eurydice myth, some allusion, and a pretty straight forward epic hero's journey tale. That's it. I can't tell you the point or the lesson. I'm mad lost. More power to those who get Delany. I'm not one of them. (You know, maybe Delany isn't meant to be read this way. I'll consider that if I ever read him again.)

Next, I wanna introduce myself to more contemporary authors, Neal Stephenson and his latest Anathem to be exact, but that book is 960 pages!!! Dude, I haven't done a book that long since The Fountainhead. Not sure I can do it.

Anyway, if you read and are remotely interested in what I'm reading, catch me on goodreads.com.

2 comments:

Foofa said...

Ok, I am SO glad you finished this and had NO CLUE what was going on either. That being said, since certain folks were so slow in getting it read I decided to read it twice and, believe it or not, decided I understood it. However, that understanding was in mid April and I can't remember what I understood. Boo.

Traveling Matt said...

told you we should have picked dhalgren...but that shit is much MUCH longer...